Tobermory is the capital of, and the only burgh on, the Isle of
Mull in the Scottish Inner Hebrides. It is located in the northeastern part of
the island, near the northern entrance of the Sound of Mull. With a current
population of approximately 700, the town was founded as a fishing port in
1788, its layout based on the designs of Dumfriesshire engineer Thomas Telford.